My favorite part of the enchiladas is the homemade sauce cooked into the tortillas. These are a delicious and a must try!
Avocado Chicken Enchiladas
- 1 tablespoon butter
- 3 garlic cloves, minced
- 1 tbsp flour
- 1 cup chicken stock - (you could use vegetable stock)
- 2 teaspoons of cumin
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon fresh ground pepper
- 1/2 cup chopped cilantro
- 1 cup mild or medium salsa verde (depending on how hot you want it)
- 1/2 cup fat free sour cream
Ingredients for the Enchiladas:
- 3-4 cups cooked chicken breasts, chopped or shredded
- 2 cups shredded Mexican blend cheese
- 3 avocados, peeled and chopped
- 8 flour tortillas
Preheat oven to 375 degrees. In medium sauce pan, saute garlic in butter for about 1 minute on Medium - High Heat. Stir in flour let it cook for about 2 more minutes.
Next stir in the chicken broth, cumin, salt, pepper and bring to a simmer. Remove from heat and stir in the sour cream, salsa verde and cilantro until smooth (or at least as smooth as you can get.)
Prepare a 9×13 baking dish with nonstick spray. Add about 1/2 cup sauce to the bottom of the pan. and spread out until bottom of the baking dish is evenly coated.
Lay out a tortilla and add chicken, shredded cheese, and avocado to the end of the tortilla and roll. Then place the rolled tortilla seam-side down and repeat until the pan is full.
Pour the remaining sauce over the enchiladas. Cover with 1 cup of cheese and bake for about 20 minutes or until cheese is bubbling.