This is one of the best recipes to make your own version of Olive Garden's famous Alfredo sauce. This recipe is for a large dinner party. Please feel free to scale the recipe down for a small family.
Olive Garden Alfredo Sauce
- 2 quarts heavy cream
- 1 lb butter
- 2 tablespoons flour
- 1 lb freshly grated parmesan cheese
- 4 ounces Fontina cheese
- 3 tablespoons minced garlic
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 2 teaspoons black pepper
- On medium heat, add butter, garlic, and flour until butter is melted. Do not brown garlic.
- Whisk in the heavy cream until hot.
- Slowly add the freshly grated cheeses into the hot cream mixture. Finally add the salt and pepper. Stir often to make sure no cheese settles at the bottom.
- Simmer until all the cheeses are melted and the sauce reaches the desired thickness. Do not let this sauce boil, or it will begin to separate and the cheeses will become grainy.
- Serve with pasta and garnish with freshly grated pecorino romano cheese (used by restaurant), if desired.
Make sure you whisk in the flour early while you are melting the butter with the garlic to avoid a "floury" flavor. The flour is important to avoid a thin sauce. This sauce is very versatile. Add grilled marinated chicken for a great Chicken Alfredo. Add sautéed shrimp and scallops with Old Bay Seasoning, white wine, shrimp stock, and chopped green onions for Seafood Alfredo. Extra sauce can be frozen for later use.