I can't remember who gave me the recipe, but I had to re write it,, I add coconut milk or cream of coconut to the batter, as it's a pretty thick batter, and it adds some extra coconut flavor. I like the dense texture of this cake together with the creaminess of the cream cheese frosting, and the crunchiness of the toasted coconut.
Cream Cheese Coconut Cake
Serves: 24 squares
- 1 c butter, softened (2 sticks)
- 6 oz cream cheese, softened
- 6 eggs
- 2 c sugar
- 1 tsp vanilla extract ( i used 1/2 tsp vanilla and 1/2 tsp coconut extract
- 2 1/4 c cake or all purpose flour
- 1/4 c coconut milk or cream of coconut ( optional )
FROSTING - I DOUBLE THIS:
- 1/4 c butter,softened
- 4 oz cream cheese, softened
- 1/2 tsp vanilla or coconut extract is good as well
- 1 1/2 c confectioners' sugar
- 1/2 c coconut
- can add a few tablespoons milk, cream or coconut milk ( i don't , as i like a thick frosting on the cake )
THIS CAKE IS DENSE & IS NOT MISSING
BAKING POWDER OR SODA...THE EGGS
ARE THE LEAVENING AGENT
Preheat oven to 350 degree F.
Prepare a 9 x 13 pan with non stick cooking spray.
Cream together butter, cream cheese and sugar.
Beat in eggs one at a time, vanilla and then mix in flour.
Spread batter into prepared pan.
Bake 35 to 40 minutes or until wooden pick comes out clean.
Cool on cooling rack
Beat together butter, cheese, vanilla and add sugar.
Mix until well blended
You can now toast coconut. I toast mine in a lighty sprayed skillet and keep tossing until golden. You can also place coconut on a baking sheet and toast in oven, turning frequently so not to burn.
I then gently remove the cake from the pan; and cut the cooled cake into 24 squares, and top with frosting and coconut. You can leave cake in pan and frost. I did it my way for presentation...
Note: Best kept refrigerated.