The recipe was amazing,,..A twist on the old standby! I made it for my Mom who had never had eggplant (and she didn't think she would) and she LOVED it. Very wholesome.. I like to use my homemade tomato sauce for this recipe, as well as using crushed croutons as the bread crumbs. A hint for shelling the eggplants - use a grapefruit spoon to start!
Stuffed Eggplant Parmesan
original recipe: allrecipes.com
makes 4 servings
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 2 medium eggplants, cut in half lengthwise and hollowed out to 1/4 inch flesh rim
- 1/2 cup chopped onion
- 2 cloves garlic, crushed
- 1 teaspoon dried oregano
- freshly ground black pepper to taste
- 1/4 cup grated Parmesan cheese
- 1/2 cup bread crumbs
- 1 teaspoon chopped fresh Italian parsley
- 2 cups tomato sauce
- 1 cup shredded mozzarella cheese
- Preheat oven to 325 degrees F (165 degrees C).
- Heat olive oil in a large skillet over medium high heat. Roughly chop eggplant centers, and add to pan with onion, garlic, oregano, and pepper. Cook and stir until lightly browned. Spoon mixture back into eggplant, and sprinkle each with Parmesan cheese, bread crumbs, and parsley. Place in a shallow baking dish, and cover with tomato sauce and mozzarella cheese.
- Bake in the preheated oven for 30 minutes, or until eggplant is fork-tender and cheese is bubbly. Serve immediately.