This is a great casserole that I threw together one day when a friend requested Broccoli au Gratin for her birthday dinner. This is a great idea for those who aren't big fans of bread crumbs. Also, the eggs can be taken out for a great sauce and using skim milk and fat-free cheese works well, too. It's basically a great recipe that can be easily altered according to taste. Enjoy!
Broccoli Cheese Bake
6 to 8 servings
- 8 cups fresh broccoli
- 1/2 cup butter
- 2 tablespoons all-purpose flour
- 1 small onion, chopped
- 1 1/4 cups milk
- salt and pepper to taste
- 4 cups shredded Swiss cheese
- 2 eggs, beaten
- Preheat oven to 325 degrees F (165 degrees C).
- Place broccoli in a steamer over 1 inch of boiling water, and cover. Cook until tender but still firm, about 2 to 6 minutes. Drain.
- Melt butter in a medium saucepan over medium heat and add flour; cook until bubbly. Stir in onion and gradually add milk, stirring well. Bring to a boil and cook for 1 minute. Remove from heat and season with salt and pepper. Stir in cheese and eggs; mix well. Combine mixture with broccoli and transfer to a 9 x 13 inch casserole dish.
- Bake in preheated oven for 30 minutes.